I will be sharing a series of post on the International Standards for Facility Management (FM) covering the Scope, Key Concepts and Benefits. In this post, I will cover the Scope and Benefits of FM.
FM manages a broad scope of support services which are often critical in facilitating an organisation’s core business activities. The aim of FM is to enable the organisation, that it is serving, also known as the demand organisation, to focus on its core business activities.
Scope: The facilities services may include:
- Managing real estate or sites providing space;
- Managing infrastructure;
- Managing facilities systems;
- Managing utilities
- Safety management, security management, catering, access control, fleet management, reception and visitor services, printing services, green service, event management, etc.;
- Specific services for users and guests, which make all of these resources productive for them and for the organisation and which maintain their functionality.
The ISO 41001:2018 has provided an International Standards on facility management for planning and description of FM and related support services. It provides standards against which FM, facilities services and management systems can be assessed and measured.
Benefits: The standards will help to:
- Improve quality, productivity and financial performance;
- Enhance sustainability and reducing negative environmental impact;
- Develop functional and motivating work environments;
- Maintain regulatory compliance and provide safe workplaces;
- Optimise life cycle performance and costs;
- Improve resilience and relevance;
- Project an organisation’s identity and image more successfully.
For those who are keen to learn and implement the ISO 41001:2018, do REGISTER for the Upcoming Online Instructor-Led Training: Understanding and Implementing ISO 41001:2018