The ISO 41001:2018 is the Facilities Management (FM) Management System Standard that guides the delivery of effective and efficient FM. Many other Standards are relevant to guide FM to comply with legal requirements and to conform with best practices, such as the ISO 14001:2015 Environment Management Systems, ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, and the ISO 50001:2018 Energy Management Systems.
Often, the multiple standards were implemented and certified over different timing of the years to enhance the performance of FM. If the Standards were audited by different certification bodies, no wonder the practitioners experience stress throughout the year needing to undergo assessments and audits for the different Standards. That can cause the FM function to be unproductive and be ineffective if the systems are practiced in isolation. To overcome those challenges, FM should combine the different Standards with the FM Management System Standard, into a common system that conforms to the requirements of each of the Standards with one set of policies and objectives.
Some benefits of implementing an Integrated Management System (IMS) for FM are such as:
- Enhancing effectiveness and efficiency;
- Reducing resources associated with different audits;
- Demonstrating uniform charting of direction for the function;
- Delivering consistent quality of facilities services;
- Improving communications, both internal and external;
- Avoiding overlapping, duplications, and repetition of works;
- Ensuring compliance with legal requirements and conformance with best practices; and
- Enabling continual FM performance improvements.
Having an IMS in place serves as a single source of management systems, to provide clarity and a coordinated effort, whereby the FM practitioners can refer to the FM function’s policies, objectives, their respective processes, roles, and responsibilities in FM operations.
Having a single IMS aligns all the different Standards and their subject areas to a common FM functional purpose.
FMS Associates Asia . . . we are on a mission to raise the recognition & respect for FM
#facilitiesmanagement #iso41001 #fmsasia #iso14001 #iso45001 #stevenee #fmsasia