It is important that Facilities Managers to understand well about contract, especially on the aspect of specification. Many tend to mention that specification is often prepared as a standard “cut and paste” condition for FM. Well, unless the interpretation of success performance is the same, otherwise, the specification serves as a roadmap to achieve your FM expected success performance .
Most likely performance expectations differ from organization to organization. Thus, as Facilities Managers, you need to be clear on the requirements, such as:
- what needs to be completed
- when and the duration needed for the work / services to be done
- what qualifications are required of the staff to be assigned on site
- what type or quality of tools, equipment to be used when carrying out the jobs
- what quality is expected to be delivered eg. for housekeeping, parts replacement, workmanship, etc.
- How should the work be carried out eg communication, supervision, etc.
Specification serves as a guide for both the Facilities Managers and FM service providers.
For the FM service providers, the specification enables them to make decision as to whether they are capable of performing the services required and are very important in estimating costs to provide a bid price.
For the Facilities Managers, the specification serves as a guide for evaluating the bid and to assess if the FM service providers meet or exceed the specification.
We hope this writing provides clarity on some of your queries pertaining to Contract Specification.
To your FM success!